Read on for national collection updates.
The late June discovery of cracks in the horn blocks of the NRM’s A3 Flying Scotsman will set back its return to steam following a lengthy, and costly, overhaul. The A3 was unveiled, in wartime black livery, on the turntable at York on May 27 prior to undertaking post-overhaul tests at the East Lancashire Railway. In early July the NRM confirmed that ‘essential remedial work’ was required and it was not possible to say when Flying Scotsman might commence working passenger trains.
Although the frames of the locomotive were ultrasonically tested as part of the overhaul, the horns were not fitted at that time. The problem became apparent when cracks in the overlaying paint appeared after the loco had been reassembled and shown to the public in the York museum.
Flying Scotsman is now at Ian Riley’s Bury works. The wheelsets will have to be removed and the full nature of the problem investigated. Hopefully the A3, which last ran in December 2005, will be ready for steam tests this autumn.
The NRM’s record-breaking A4 No. 4468 Mallard returned to York on July 19 following a period as an exhibit at the NRM’s Locomotion ‘outstation’ at Shildon. A projected visit to Germany for display in the DB Museum in Nuremberg has been postponed, probably until October or November.
Cancellation in April of the NRM+ project at York has resulted in several weeks of rearranging exhibits at York and Shildon. Examples include LBSCR 0-4-2 No. 214 Gladstone and the Scottish Railway Preservation Society’s ex-North British Railway J36 0-6-0 No. 673 Maude (BR No. 65243) moving from the Great Hall to Station Hall within the NRM, with 1846-built Furness Railway 0-4-0 No. 3 ‘Coppernob’ going from Station Hall to the Great Hall.
‘Battle of Britain’ No. 34051 Winston Churchill is now in the ‘Works’ at York for cosmetic attention, while ‘Black Five’ No. 5000 is temporarily in the South Yard ‘tent’ awaiting relocation to Locomotion.
Recent arrivals at Shildon’s Locomotion museum include NER M Class 4-4-0 No. 1621, 1898-built East Coast JS 3rd class teak carriage No. 12 and Compagnie Internationale Wagon-Lits sleeping car No. 3792. GWR 2-8-0 No. 2818 is also to go from York to Locomotion for a period, then go on loan to Didcot Railway Centre.
Recently re-liveried ‘Crab’ No. 13000 (now in LMS crimson lake) and GNR J52 0-6-0ST No. 1247 have left Locomotion for York for display in the rearranged Station Hall.
Other NRM locos and vehicles have been placed on loan to various centres, including two wagons (a ‘Starfish’ and a hand crane) to Didcot, while the NRM’s 1949-built Dynamometer Car has been moved from Barrow Hill to the Midland Railway – Butterley.
The NRM’s GWR icon No. 3717 City of Truro will remain at the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) through August, then visit the Bodmin & Wenford Railway’s September 2-4 Autumn Steam Gala & Real Ale Festival and subsequent ‘City of Truro Week’. It is also booked to appear at the Wensleydale Railway over October 8-9.
Steam at the GCR(N) after the ‘City’ departs should be provided by ex-Wemyss Private Railway ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0ST No. 15 Earl David, which had originally been expected at Ruddington prior to last Christmas to stay through 2011, but did not arrive due to firebox problems. Repairs are now believed almost complete. The GCR(N) hopes its own ex-Corby steelworks RSH 0-6-0ST No. 63 (7761/54) will be back in action during September after the boiler, repaired at Israel Newton’s Bradford works, has been fitted.
THE NRM has transferred former Stockton & Darlington Railway coach No. 179 to the ownership of Beamish Museum. Dating from c.1865 and still with its original underframe, it has gone to Stanegate Restorations & Replicas in Haltwhistle for restoration prior to being used on Beamish’s Waggonway.
It will carry S&DR scumbled teak livery with green ironwork, but retain modifications made after its sale to Forcett Quarry, South Durham in 1884 when a guard’s compartment and handbrake were fitted. Funding comes from money passed to Beamish when the Locomotion Trust was wound up.
The coach has been at Beamish previously; in 1970 on first being saved from scrapping and between 1975-1984 when it was used on Beamish’s Rowley Station line. It went to Shildon in 1984, initially to the wagon works, then adjacent Hackworth Museum and from 2004 has been part of the Locomotion collection.
Restoration of the 3ft 6in gauge 1927-built Rhodesia Railways sleeping car repatriated by David Shepherd in 1975 (once displayed with his Sharpe Stewart 4-8-0 at Whipsnade and Cranmore) has been completed by the Appleby Training & Heritage Centre in Cumbria.
The coach and loco are now part of the national collection and will form a new display at the NRM. The coach is in storage until the new display is ready. The 4-8-0 is being cosmetically restored at Tyseley locomotive Works.